Monday, July 5, 2010

Easy to Prepare - Fast, Fun Meals Using a Vegetable Spiral Slicer


Image : http://www.flickr.com


Add fun and creativity to your meals. Your meals will now get loads of compliments because of the visual appeal and will be the talk at the table! You can do this by using a vegetable spiral slicer. These little kitchen gadgets are so much fun. I can't believe what I was missing out on all these years! I ordered a World Cuisine Paderno vegetable spiral slicer not too long ago and I have to say there has been a boost in vegetable intake from just wanting to use the machine.

I was always intrigued how they made spirally carrot shreds or really adorable garnishes on party foods. I always thought it was made by some ridiculously expensive kitchen gadget that I would never justify wanting to pay for. Well, not too long ago I went into a restaurant that specialized in raw food. Now this may not be new to a lot of you, but they had zucchini pasta...and wait for the kicker...it was AMAZING! From that day I kept thinking about going on the internet to learn how they made it and turns out it is super easy not to mention really cheap.

The vegetable spiral slicer to my surprise was reasonably priced compared to what I thought it was going to cost, if you buy it online. I tried finding it in local stores and it was twice the cost or more. While searching around I discovered there are several available that cost more than five hundred dollars. These more expensive machines I'm supposing are for the more skilled chefs who will utilize this machine and torture it completely till its last run. The quality of the plastic and steel on the slicer are most likely 10 times better then the cheaper models. I ended up finding a new slicer for a really reasonable price, close to 30 bucks and honestly, it works good enough for me.

I'll tell you right here what I found to be the benefits and drawbacks.

Definitely the good qualities are that it is so fun to have a salad not to have the same old boring slices. It's really fun to crank the handle on the spiral slicer to create ribbons of spiral spaghetti sized curly strands to put together with your meals out of just about any harder vegetables or fruits. The blades are extremely easy to change and has a storage place integrated into the machine for the other sized blades. Also, clean up is easy. Seriously, cutting small sized pieces of veggies or fruits to put in your spring rolls or salads are so simple.

Now a couple of cons (and these are subjective) is that it isn't the smallest gadget. The tool isn't massive, but it's not small either which means you need a place for it to call home. Also there is some excess in the centre or core of the fruit or vegetable that doesn't get sliced up. If you're slicing up a carrot, it ends up looking like an over-sized carrot thumb tack and you'll need to chop it up or eat it separately. The manufacturers ought to think about having the cylindrical core remover possibly being albe to be replaced by something which is smooth for vegetables that don't require the core to be removed.

On the whole, I love having the vegetable spiral slicer. I make more raw cuisine using it and am able to throw in more veggies to my meals without actually feeling like I'm eating it because sometimes, I just find them too boring or tasting too harsh when it's roughly chopped. I make all sorts of raw food meals that are fun and tasty thanks to my vegetable spiral slicer. Definitely makes eating and food much more enjoyable. I love it!

Ice Cream Maker

No comments:

Post a Comment