Saturday, June 26, 2010

Part 1 Surf an Origami Hang Glider on a Wave of Air.mov

The rest of the videos in this series as well as the 2 4 1 pattern at www.sciencetoymaker.org As you build and fly, here are some tips that I wish were in the video (updated instructional videos coming soon). If you keep these in mind as you go through the instructions, you might have a less frustrating time. I no longer make a second glider out of the printer paper. It's just too heavy and I save time by just concentrating on the phone book paper one. I no longer cut the notch in the front. I just fold that part now. The center of gravity (CG) marks on the glider are starting points only. Adding more or removing weight shifts the CG forward or backward. This is very useful for dealing with stalling and diving. Instead of straws for boom and weight, I now use the thin wire that's inside "twisties," those bendy things used to close plastic bags and also to wrap various cords when you first open the packaging of electronic equipment. I strip off the paper or plastic part off with pliers so it's more aerodynamic. When taped on, I can fine tune the by straightening the wire for more leverage (more downward force to counteract stalling). Or I can fold the wire back on itself for less downward leverage (if the glider is diving). It's easier than adding or cutting off tape. When taping the wire on, fold that short, very front fold too, so the tape folds too. The two diagonal folds near the front of the glider—the ones that make the under curve (camber)--have to be creased firmly ...



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnwc0meV3SI&hl=en

Ice Cream Maker

No comments:

Post a Comment